Everyone knows data growth is exploding. The chart below illustrates data growth—in zettabytes—over the last 11 years.
Storing all that data can get complicated. The rise of cloud computing and virtualization has led to myriad options for data storage. Kevin Trachier did a great job of defining and highlighting the differences in various cloud storage options in his blog post, Which storage solution is best for your project?
Today, I’m excited to announce that we’ve expanded SoftLayer’s cloud storage portfolio to include two new storage products: block storage and file storage, both featuring Performance and Endurance options. These storage offerings allow you to create storage volumes or shares and connect them to your bare metal or virtual servers using either NFS or iSCSI connectivity.
The Endurance and Performance classes of both block storage and file storage feature:
- Storage sizes to fit any application—from 20GB to 12TB
- Highly available connectivity—redundant networking connections reduce risk and mitigate against unplanned events to provide business continuity
- Allocated IOPS—meet any workload requirement through customizable levels of IOPS that are there when you need them
- Durable and Resilient —infrastructure provides safety of mind against data loss without managing system-level RAID arrays
- Concurrent Access—multiple hosts can simultaneously access both block and file volumes in support of advanced use cases such as clustered databases
The Endurance class of both block storage and file storage is available in three tiers, allowing you can choose the right balance of performance and cost for your needs:
- 0.25 IOPS per GB is designed for workloads with low I/O intensity. Example applications include storing mailboxes or departmental level file shares.
- 2 IOPS per GB is designed for most general purpose use. Example applications include hosting small databases backing Web applications or virtual machine disk images for a hypervisor.
- 4 IOPS per GB is designed for higher intensity workloads. Example applications include transactional and other performance-sensitive databases.
All Endurance tiers support snapshots and replication to remote data centers.
We designed the Performance class of both block storage and file storage to support high I/O applications like relational databases that require consistent levels of performance. Block volumes and file shares can be provisioned with up to 6,000 IOPS and 96MB/s of throughput.
Available sizes and IOPS combinations:
Block storage and file storage are available in SoftLayer data centers worldwide. SoftLayer customers can log in to the customer portal and start using them today.