Getting Started as a Server Build Technician

October 9, 2011

When I was interviewed for a job as Server Build Technician (SBT) in Dallas, I was a little concerned that I was getting in over my head. I let my potential manager know that I had very little experience with Linux but that I was willing to learn. I tried to show that I'd be a quick study, and the interview must have gone well because by the end of the day, I was offered the job. I was really excited to know that SoftLayer was willing to take give me an opportunity to finally start pursuing a career path in technology (which is what I was looking for out of school).

As it turns out, I was the only female SBT in SoftLayer's Dallas-area data centers, so I felt a good amount of pressure to prove myself and step up my game. Luckily, my training took away a lot of those nerves, and it was also comforting to see that no matter where I was working (data center or office), I was welcomed by my coworkers. It didn't hurt that I met some really cool people in the process, too. From day one, I realized that I'd been given an amazing opportunity to learn from some really smart folks who know their stuff when it comes to everything related to technology.

I have been here for around six months, and I can't believe how much tech knowledge I've absorbed. I wouldn't claim to be an expert in Linux or a MySQL guru (yet), but if my experience here is any indication, it won't be too long before I know everything there is to know about every technology living in our data centers. When I run into a problem or a question I don't have the answer for, I can rely on my coworkers to have the solutions and break them down into terms I can understand if they're overly complex.

Would I recommend this job to others? Most definitely! This has been one of the best jobs that I've ever had. I've been able to take what I learned in school and actually apply it to my daily work life while continuing my real-world on-the-job education. If you have a server in DAL02 and need someone to check out the hardware or add some RAM, I might be the one jumping to get your request fulfilled quickly.

I'm proof that SoftLayer invests in its employees, so if you're interested in an amazing job for a company who values you, I want you to be a coworker! We have positions in all departments available in Dallas, Houston, Singapore, Amsterdam, San Jose, Seattle and Washington, D.C. (and probably more location in the near future), so keep an eye on the SoftLayer Careers page for the perfect opportunity to join our team.

-Rochelle

Comments

October 10th, 2011 at 1:57am

No experience with Linux and they let you build servers? You didn't get hired because they thought you had potential, it's because you are a girl....

October 10th, 2011 at 1:16pm

Your comment comes across pretty misogynistic, jsmith. What isn't spelled out in the post is that Rochelle's "limited experience" with Linux came from coursework in school, and even if she didn't have formal experience with Linux, that background isn't a prerequisite to joining our team. As Rochelle explained, the training new SoftLayer employees go through teaches (or refreshes) all of the knowledge necessary to complete the responsibilities of the job.

We've been building teams in all of our data center facilities, and no experience is required to get in the door. New employees are required to be ready, willing and able to learn everything they need to know to do their job well. If we screened all candidates against an arbitrary measure of Linux knowledge, our potential employee pool diminishing quickly and needlessly.

October 10th, 2011 at 3:10pm

Hey, I'm wondering if the position of SBT is still available in the Singapore DC as the job listing for that was posted in July.

October 11th, 2011 at 8:52am

We're still hiring everywhere! If the listing is still online, there are still positions available. We look forward to meeting you, Anson!

October 12th, 2011 at 9:48am

Great career start, Rochelle!

I deal with The Planet / Softlayer since 2004 and I'm happy with the service since the beginning. I really appreciate the Softlayer customer support & technicians: they're always on time, they work around the clock and provide a professional expertise.

I recommend Softlayer to anyone interested to work with an industry hosting leader.

My server is in Dallas 6, so we're neighbours!

All the best to you and your team!

Lucian

Filtered HTML

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • You can enable syntax highlighting of source code with the following tags: <pre>, <blockcode>, <bash>, <c>, <cpp>, <drupal5>, <drupal6>, <java>, <javascript>, <php>, <python>, <ruby>. The supported tag styles are: <foo>, [foo].
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

Comments

October 10th, 2011 at 1:57am

October 10th, 2011 at 1:16pm

October 10th, 2011 at 3:10pm

October 11th, 2011 at 8:52am

October 12th, 2011 at 9:48am

Great career start, Rochelle!

My server is in Dallas 6, so we're neighbours!

All the best to you and your team!

Lucian

Filtered HTML

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.