Tips and Tricks - Remote Audio Over RDP in Windows 2008

February 20, 2012

I was working on my server the other night, and I found myself needing to get sound from my Windows 2008 box through an RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) connection. Because we have a huge customer base with Windows 2008 installed now, I figured there may be someone else out there that would like to be able to hear sounds from their server on their local computer when connected, so I put together a quick walkthrough with how I got it to work:

Configuring Your Server

1. Open Windows Services (Start -> Run -> Services.msc)
  2. Change the properties of the Windows Audio Endpoint Service and Windows Audio Service to "Automatic". If the services are not already started, you can manually start them at this time.
  3. Open Terminal Services ( Start -> Run -> tsconfig.msc)
  4. Right-click on the RDP-TCP connection and bring up its properties. Go to the "Client Settings" and make sure that on "Redirection Audio" is not disabled.
  5. Fully log out and log back into the RDP connection to the server. You will see a balloon error on your speaker icon that states "No Audio Output Device is installed."

Making Registry Changes

1. You will now need to back up your registry and some registry changes.
  2. I want to reiterate the instruction to back up your registry ... As with most technical guides/walkthroughs, SoftLayer will not be held liable for any corruptions that may result from you attempting these changes. The next two steps will show how to quickly back up your registry.
  3. Log into your server on an account with Administrator rights, and open regedit (Start -> Run -> regedit)
  4. Export the current registry (from the "File" menu) and copy it to a location off of your server so you have it backed up.
  5. Locate the following key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AudioEngine\AudioProcessingObjects. This will contain several subkeys all each named with a GUID.
  6. Click on each subkey, then right-click and select "Permissions." You will then click on the "Advanced" button and the "Owner" tab. The current owner should be listed as "TrustedInstaller."
  7. Select the Administrative account and/or group from the list and click "OK" to change the ownership.
  8. Select the account you just chose and give it "Full Control," then click "OK."
  9. In the "Detail" box of each subkey, double-click on the DWORD value "MinOutputConnections" and change it from 1 to 0, then click "OK."
  10. Once you have done this for each subkey in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AudioEngine\AudioProcessingObjects, you can close regedit and restart the Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint services.

Configuring Your RDP Client

Now that you have everything ready on the server, you just need to make sure your RDP client recognizes the audio. Log off of the server so you can configure your RDP client. Open RDP, go to the "Options" menu, and under "Local Resources," select "Configure Remote Audio Settings." Select "Play on this Computer," and hit "OK." Voila! You now should be able to hear sound from your Windows 2008 RDP connection.

-Bill

Comments

February 21st, 2012 at 12:55am

Thanks for sharing the trick, its very systematic and easy to follow. I might want to try this in the future.

May 31st, 2012 at 11:29am

Hi,

Many thanks for the knowledge.

This solves the issue.

My test shows that the "Configuring Your Server" part is sufficient.
Sound works if applying those changes only.

Can you share the rationale behind doing the second part, "Making Registry Changes"?
Seems wrong to mess with registry at this level.

Thanks
Nick

June 3rd, 2012 at 8:54am

Can we send sound using a microphone to server through this method?

September 20th, 2013 at 11:28pm

Thanks so much, it really worked. I only had to do the "Configuring your Server" part and I had audio on my thin clients. We are using Google Hangouts and audio conferencing is now possible! Thank you for the excellent article and well defined steps

Filtered HTML

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • You can enable syntax highlighting of source code with the following tags: <pre>, <blockcode>, <bash>, <c>, <cpp>, <drupal5>, <drupal6>, <java>, <javascript>, <php>, <python>, <ruby>. The supported tag styles are: <foo>, [foo].
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

Comments

February 21st, 2012 at 12:55am

May 31st, 2012 at 11:29am

Hi,

Many thanks for the knowledge.

This solves the issue.

My test shows that the "Configuring Your Server" part is sufficient.
Sound works if applying those changes only.

Seems wrong to mess with registry at this level.

Thanks
Nick

June 3rd, 2012 at 8:54am

Can we send sound using a microphone to server through this method?

September 20th, 2013 at 11:28pm

Filtered HTML

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.