With all of the cooking and eating going on around Thanksgiving, Summer’s Truffle Mac and Cheese blog inspired me to think back on any of the “expertise” I can provide for SoftLayer customers in the kitchen. One of the first things my mother taught me to cook was brisket. While it might not be as exotic as 3 Bars Barbeque, it’s pretty easy to make. Everyone who tastes it sings its praises and thinks it took forever to prepare, and while it does have to cook in the oven for about four hours, there are only five ingredients, so the “preparation” time is actually only around ten minutes. Since it’s not exactly a family secret, I don’t think I’ll get into any trouble for sharing it:
Easy-To-Make Brisket Ingredients
- 1 Brisket – I’d recommend having the majority (not all) of the fat trimmed off at the store
- 2 1/2 Cups of Ketchup – Buy the largest ketchup bottle and plan on using a little more than half
- 1 1/2 Cups of Water
- 1 Packet of Onion Soup Mix
- 1 Can of Tomato Paste (Optional, adds flavor)
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees
- Mix all of the non-brisket ingredients and pour them on top of the brisket in a large roaster (one with a lid would be preferable)
- Make sure the entire brisket is covered. Pick it up to get your other ingredients underneath.
- Pop it into the oven for four hours at 300 degrees.
- Take it out, let it cool, and enjoy!
That’s the basic, original recipe, but I’ve found a few ways to make it juicier along the way. One tip is to pull the brisket from the oven after about three and a half hours and slice it against the grain. If you have an electric knife, this is the perfect chance to use it, and if you don’t, this could be an excuse to get one. Put the brisket back in the roaster for another half hour, and you’ll love the results. Because ovens differ, just make sure it’s moist before you take it out to serve.
At this point, you’re probably asking yourself what a brisket recipe has to do with SoftLayer. If you’ve used our Build Your Own Cloud wizard, you might already see the similarity: You can put something together that seems dauntingly time consuming quickly and without breaking a sweat … And the end result is amazing. There are a few simple steps to making an impressive brisket, and it takes a few clicks to build a customized cloud instance with all the benefits of SoftLayer’s global network and support.
Too often, selecting a cloud instance involves more limitations than it does choices, so we wanted to make sure the BYOC service enabled customers the granularity to choose CPU, RAM, and storage configurations on newer, more powerful servers than our competition. Just like my tweak of the original recipe, we want customers to have the ability to tweak their cloud platform to provide the best application performance, cost efficiency, and availability for their specific needs.
If this blog left you hungry, you’ve got everything you need to make an amazing brisket. If you don’t have the ingredients (or the four hours) you need to make one now, you can try the quicker BYOC recipe:
SoftLayer Cloud Ordering Ingredients
- The device you’re using to read this blog.
- A list of what you want on your cloud instance.
- Visit SoftLayer’s Build Your Own Cloud page.
- Select the options you want and submit your order.
- Start using your custom cloud instance in less than 20 minutes!