We are closing down 2011 and beginning to prepare for a new year that is bound to be full of exciting changes and growth for our company, and in the midst of the calendar change, I’m reminded that my two-year anniversary of becoming a SLayer will be here soon too. Has time flown?! So many things have changed in the past two years, so I thought it would be fun to think about some things that have changed since my first day on the job.
To give you an idea of how things have changed in our office alone:
- Our last office had two kitchens and two microwaves. At our Alpha headquarters, we have six kitchens with twelve microwaves. It’s so nice that I don’t have to wait in line to heat up my lunches anymore.
- In the Alpha office’s main kitchen, we have a Sonic ice machine … if you aren’t from the southern part of the US, you might not know why this is so cool, but if you’ve had a Cherry Limeade delivered to your car, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about.
- Previously, we had to share a bathroom with a few other companies. Now we’re the only company in our building, and there are three sets bathrooms just for us.
- When I started we had four conference rooms. Now we have sixteen … Not even counting the conference rooms in our other locations!
Speaking of “other locations,” it’d probably be worthwhile to talk about about a few of bigger changes that happened outside of the walls of the Dallas office.
- When I started, SoftLayer was run by around 160 SLayers. Now we’re over 650!
- In January 2010, we were on one continent. Now we’ve added Asia and Europe presences to our foundation in North America.
- Those international presences have helped us expand our data center footprint. We had three data centers (Dallas, Seattle and Washington, D.C.) when I started. Now we have thirteen data centers around the world, and in addition to those three markets, we now have SLayers in Houston, San Jose, Singapore and Amsterdam!
- On my first day, our marketing team consisted of three people. Now we have more than fifteen people … and looking to hire more.
- Two years ago, we had around 6,000 customers. Today we have more than 25,000 customers located in over 110 countries!
I’ve been through a headquarter move, a merger, a huge network expansion and multiple product additions, but one thing that remains the same is our dedication to providing our customers with the best on-demand hosting solution in the world… and of course having fun while we are at it!